This year, one of the most important topics related to social policy are income criteria from the Municipal Social Welfare Center for 2019. According to the assumptions of the Institute of Labor and Social Affairs, every three years there are changes in their amount. The last verification of income criteria and amounts of cash benefits was included in the regulation of the Council of Ministers of 11/07/2018. These changes came into force on October 1, 2018 and will be valid until October 31, 2019. How much is the income criterion from MOPS for individual benefits?
Poland in the European lead in terms of family support
For the purposes of the report: “Tax benefits and family benefits in the EU – 2017” carried out by PwC indicates that the average Polish family in the field of children’s allowances and family benefits receives PLN 8.225 per year. In comparison with the European norm – PLN 10,178, this is the fourth result among the 28 EU countries. As experts emphasize – a positive and sustainable demographic trend is achieved only by those countries that have systemic solutions. Only France, Hungary and Austria were at the top of the list in front of Poland 1 .
The Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Policy emphasizes that expenditures on family policy in Poland currently amount to approx. 3%. GDP – which places our country among the political leaders of Europe that conduct an active and effective family policy 2 . Therefore, the last verification regarding social intervention was carried out by the Institute of Labor and Social Rights in 2018. On its strength, the minister competent for social security, by way of a regulation, determined:
- Threshold for social intervention
- The minimum range of expenses
- The scope of basic needs necessary for life
- Period and source of data from which the price and goods are accepted
Subsequently, the Council of Ministers presented to the Social Dialogue Council a proposal on amounts of income criterion and information on the implementation of cash benefits from social assistance for the previous verification period, which includes:
- The number of beneficiaries
- The number of benefits
- The total amount of expenses for benefits
What is the income criterion in 2019?
Based on Article. 9 of the Act on Social Assistance of March 12, 2004 3 , the Council of Ministers established new income criteria, amounts of cash benefits from social assistance, as well as the amount of income from 1 conversion hectare. According to its requirements – verification of the above criteria is carried out every 3 years. The last took place in 2015, so the next was in 2018. Under it:
1) income criterion:
- For a single person – PLN 701 (increase by 11%, from PLN 634),
- For a person in the family – at the level of 528 PLN (an increase of 3%, from 514 PLN),
- The amount of income from 1 conversion hectare – in the amount of PLN 308 (increase by 7%, from PLN 288),
2) amounts of cash benefits from social assistance:
- the amount constituting the basis for determining the amount of cash assistance for becoming independent, for continuing education and aid for material development – in the amount of PLN 1763 (increase of 2%),
- minimum amount of cash payment for the maintenance and coverage of expenses related to learning the Polish language for foreigners who obtained refugee status in the Republic of Poland, subsidiary protection or a temporary residence permit granted in connection with the circumstance referred to in art. 159 of the Act of 12 December 2013 on foreigners – in the amount of PLN 647 (an increase of 7%),
- the maximum amount of cash payment for the maintenance and coverage of expenses related to learning the Polish language for foreigners who obtained refugee status in the Republic of Poland, subsidiary protection or a temporary residence permit granted in connection with the circumstance referred to in art. 159 of the Act of 12 December 2013 on foreigners – in the amount of 1376 PLN (increase by 3%),
3) the maximum amount of permanent benefit – 64 5 PLN 4 (increase by 7 percent)
Income criterion in 2019 – rates up!
Raising the above criteria causes an automatic increase in the number of people using cash benefits. However, in order to benefit from financial support, it is not enough to submit an application to a social welfare center. The key is also to meet not only the requirement of having appropriate medical certificates, but also the income condition. Read more:
- Social pension with MOPS. Check how to get a pension?
- Pension for incapacity for work – internship
- Unemployment benefit, death grant, sickness benefit and other – rules for granting
Permanent benefit – award criterion
A permanent allowance is a special form of a monetary allowance which, pursuant to art. 37 of the Act on Social Welfare, it is entitled to:
- An adult person who is self-employed, unable to work because of age or completely unable to work, when her income is lower than the income criterion per one person household,
- An adult who is in a family who is unable to work because of age or completely unable to work, if her income as well as income per person in a family are lower than the income criterion per person in a family 5 .
What is important – the inability to work due to age means that a woman reaches 60 and 65 years of age. In turn, total incapacity for work means that a person has an I or a disability group or a significant or moderate degree of disability. Read also:
- What is the fixed benefit from MOPS 2019? Who can apply for it?
Permanent allowance what amount? Regarding a single person – the benefit is calculated on the basis of the difference between the income criterion and the income of that person. Please note that the amount of this allowance can not be higher PLN 444 and less than PLN 30. However, in the case of a person in a family, the benefit is determined on the basis of the difference between the income criterion per person in the family and its income.
Periodic benefit – who is entitled to and for what amount?
Periodic benefit is granted to persons, due to their long-term illness, disability, unemployment, the ability to maintain or acquire entitlements to benefits from other social security systems:
- a single householder whose income is lower than the income criterion of a single person. The income criterion is PLN 634,
- a family whose income is lower than the family income criterion. The criterion is calculated here as the product of the amount of the income criterion per person in the family, i.e. PLN 514 and the number of persons in the family.
The minimum amount of periodic benefit is PLN 20.
Special allowance – who is granted and in what amount?
The special allowance, as the name suggests, is granted in order to satisfy a certain living need. It may be paid to cover some or all of the costs, such as:
- Purchase of food
- Drugs and groceries
- Basic household items
- Small repairs and repairs in the apartment
- The cost of organizing the funeral
However, what is important can also be awarded according to other criteria, which are considered individually. That is why it is equally possible to apply for expenses that are not included in the law. As a rule, the benefit is granted to people whose income criterion in 2019 is:
- PLN 701 for a single person managing
- PLN 528 for a person in a family
There are, however, situations in which the recipient receives an allowance despite not meeting the criteria. This happens when there have been unforeseen random events, natural or ecological disaster. In special cases, a special purpose allowance may also be granted – precisely for those people who exceed the mentioned income criterion. What is important – this type of service is not refundable.
Income Criteria for Family Benefit – how much is it in 2019?
In the case of the family allowance, which aims to partially cover the costs for the child’s maintenance – the income criterion at the turn of 2018/2019 will remain unchanged. Which means that people who have a monthly family income per person are entitled to:
- PLN 674 per person in a family,
- PLN 764 for families whose child has a certificate of disability or a certificate of moderate or severe disability.
In practice, therefore, the amount of the family allowance, from November 1, 2018 to October 31, 2019, is equal to monthly:
- 95 PLN – for a child up to the age of 5,
- PLN 124 – for a minor aged over 5 years to the age of 18,
- PLN 135 – for a child over the age of 18 up to the age of 24.
It is also worth remembering that family benefits, like all family benefits, are free of income tax! At the same time authorizing the criterion for family benefit for a disabled child’s right to a condition pecjalnego care allowance. His rate in 2019 is PLN 620 (an increase of PLN 100).
Who is entitled to family allowance?
The right to family benefit is vested in both parents of the child or one parent. However, it can also be used by the legal or actual guardian – provided that he has applied to the court beforehand for adoption of a child! It is not uncommon that a family benefit is taken by an adult teaching person, but one that is not dependent on the parents. This is the case, for example at the time of the death of the parents or in connection with a judicial determination or a court settlement regarding the right to maintenance by them.
The above list of people is a closed catalog, which in practice means that nobody else except them has the right to family benefits! Read also: Family benefit, care allowance and other carers’ benefits.
Limitations of the family allowance
In accordance with the provisions of Polish law, this provision without a doubt is the main element supporting the pro-family policy of the country. However, the benefit is only valid for a limited period of time – hence:
- To be completed by a minor of 18 years / or
- School studies – but no longer than up to the age of 21 / or
- Up to 24 years old – if the child continues education at school or university. It must also have a certificate of moderate or severe disability.
Care allowance is another family benefit that is the result of an effective social policy in our country. Its purpose is to guarantee adequate assistance to people, in connection with their disability and their inability to live independently. So – these are monthly payments given to disabled caregivers in connection with their health condition.
For the first time in 12 years, its amount was increased and from November 1, 2018 its rate is:
- PLN 184.42 (an increase from PLN 153). In the next stage, ie from November 1, 2019, it will increase to PLN 215.84 per month.
Who can receive a nursing benefit? Its allocation is primarily:
- people with disabilities up to 16 years of age who have a moderate degree of disability or a relevant statement of an insurance company that counts the payer in the second disability group (condition: disability must occur before the age of 21!),
- seniors – over 75 years old,
- support may also be provided by carers of persons over 16 years of age. In this case, however, it is necessary to have a decree of a significant degree of disability and. Possibly a relevant certificate of the insurance company – Social Security or the Social Insurance Fund ( KRUS) is required to enter the benefit recipient in the first disability group. Decisions on total incapacity for work are also taken into account ,
What’s more, the government decided to increase the amount of the carer’s allowance and in 2019, which will amount to PLN 620 (an increase of PLN 100).