Magnolia Springs is a small town located at the source of the Magnolia River in southern Baldwin County in the US state of Alabama. The name of the city refers to the large number of magnolias that grow in every residential garden in the city and to the natural springs that constantly flow. Magnolia Springs is well known for its “southern charm” and is run by a municipal form of government.
Magnolia Springs Geography
The city of Magnolia Springs covers a total area of 2.49 km2, of which 0.16 km2 is occupied by water and 2.33 km2 is occupied by land. The city is part of the Daphne-Fairhope-Foley Micropolitan Statistical Area and is located approximately midway between the City of Fairhope and the City of Gulf Shores. The beautiful Magnolia River flows through the heart of the city and is an important resource for residents of Magnolia Springs. The Magnolia River is also the only river route for mail delivery in the continental United States. Country Road 49 runs north-south through Magnolia Springs and joins US Highway 98 in the northern part of town. Visitors to the town are charmed by its narrow, tree-lined streets lined with houses and manicured gardens.
The population and economy of Magnolia Springs
In 2019, the city of Magnolia Springs had a population of 968 people with a median age of 56.1. As of 2019, approximately 16 people (1.65% of residents) of Magnolia Springs were born outside the country. The most common place of birth for foreign-born residents of Alabama is Mexico, followed by Guatemala and India. The largest ethnic groups in Magnolia Springs are non-Hispanic whites at 85.3% of the city’s population, Hispanic whites at 11.4%, other races at 1.45%, and African Americans and Asians at 0.826%. All households in Magnolia Springs speak English as their primary language, and 100% of the town’s residents are US citizens.
In 2019, the median household income in Magnolia Springs was $63,295 and the median property value was $251,500. The average number of car owners in Magnolia Springs was two cars per household. Magnolia Springs’ largest industries include health care and social assistance, construction, and retail.
Tourist Attractions in Magnolia Springs
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is a historic church located at 14755 Oak Avenue in the small town of Magnolia Springs. This historic church was built in the late neo-Gothic architectural style. On September 25, 1988, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 2008, the church became a full parish of the Diocese of the Central Gulf Coast.
Also called Brunell House, the Governor’s Club is an early 20th-century resort hotel located at 11866 Magnolia St. in the small town of Magnolia Springs. This resort hotel was originally built as part of several buildings on the estate of a Chicago businessman named Frank Brunell. In 1928 Brunell sold several acres of his property to a local businessman named Walter Richardson. Mr. Richardson, in turn, donated it to the Governor’s Club to establish a resort hotel. Built in the “Coastal Cottage” architectural style, the Governor’s Club was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 31, 2000.
Brief History of Magnolia Springs
Land in the present-day Magnolia Springs area was originally owned by the Creek Indigenous Nation. In 1800, the town of Magnolia Springs was settled under a Spanish land grant. After the American Civil War, this small town became a popular destination for families and descendants of soldiers who had fought on both sides. Over time, many homes, inns and businesses have settled along the banks of the Magnolia River. Later, many people from the New England states also joined with native Alabamians to build homes along the Magnolia River. A distillation of turpentine was once the largest business in the area, and in 1865 the owners burned down these stills to prevent them from being taken over by Union forces at the end of the Civil War. Around the 1900s, many chemical companies in Chicago began testing water samples from natural springs located on both sides of the river. The companies said the spring waters were the “the purest in the world”. The name of the city therefore refers to these natural springs which always flow and to the large number of magnolias which grow in the residential gardens of the city. The city streets are also lined with giant oak trees and several other flowering plants. The town of Magnolia Springs was officially incorporated on June 29, 2006.