From Auburn‘s earliest days, and even earlier than the city was included, the nook of South Road and Faculty was stuffed with a college.
The middle faculty, a one-room faculty, was the every day vacation spot for neighborhood youngsters till the early 1900s.
With inadequate room, the town drew up plans for a two-room faculty. In 1922, a brand new downtown faculty opened across the nook.
The old-fashioned was transported to Coolidge Road, which continues to be a part of a residential property.
The brand new faculty, proven in our Then photograph, was ultimately renamed Tuttle Sq. Faculty. The nook of South and Faculty streets had been labeled Tuttle Sq..
The identify Tuttle is primarily related to the native American Legion, Chester P. Tuttle Put up # 279 on Bancroft Road in Auburn.
Chester P. Tuttle was a World Conflict I soldier who grew up on a farm in Auburn earlier than enlisting within the navy.
After a cease at Camp Devens, he left abroad in Might 1918. He was wounded in France on October 31, 1918, dying just a few hours later. He was 22, the primary Auburn resident to die in that conflict.
Faculty youngsters within the metropolis frequented Tuttle Sq. for a few decade. Later, throughout World Conflict II, the constructing was erected as an auxiliary hospital.
For 5 years after the conflict, beginning in 1948, the constructing was once more used for lecture rooms. After that, it was usually used for college administration places of work. For a time, it housed an affiliation of visiting nurses.
In 1999, the vacant constructing grew to become the headquarters of the Auburn Historic Society and Museum. The bungalow / artisan fashion constructing is listed within the Nationwide Register of Historic Locations. The museum provides a take a look at Auburn of yesteryear, by way of images and displays.
Because of the Auburn Historic Society and Museum for his or her assist on this story. The museum, 41 South St., is open 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Saturdays.